T94 is the sole remaining example of the class.
Number built: 23
Number range: 249 – 283 (odd numbers only)
Built by: Beyer Peacock & Co, Phoenix Foundry
Built: 1874, 1884-5
Tractive Effort: 13,665 lb
Purpose: The T class was built for operation on the lightly-built branch lines around Victoria and the locomotives were used on goods, passenger and mixed trains. In 1894, one was allocated each to Maryborough, Ballarat and Seymour, six were allocated each to Ararat and Benalla and four to Stawell.
Interesting Facts: In the 1870s the Victorian Railways ordered two light lines pattern locomotives from Beyer Peacock and Company in Great Britain. One of the two locomotives was a typical 0-6-0 type built in the British tradition of the time. It had inside cylinders, Stephenson valve gear, inside plate frames and its firebox fitting neatly between the coupled axles. This locomotive became the first T class and the pattern for 18 more ordered from Phoenix Foundry in Ballarat a decade later. The other four members of the class were Beyer Peacock imported by the Deniliquin and Moama Railway Company. The Victorian Railways took over that railway including its locomotives in December 1923.
The Phoenix Foundry copies followed the Beyer Peacock design closely. However, the cabs had timber upper parts which provided better protection to the crew than the scanty English design. The tenders also differed. The pattern had a four wheel type, the copies had six wheels. The running plate was straight and both the leading and driving wheels were covered with small splashers. Brass builder’s plates were attached to both the tender sides and to the driving wheel splasher.
The original boilers were the raised round top firebox pattern with Salter safety valves on the steam dome. These were replaced between 1901 and 1906 with larger boilers with a working pressure of 160 psi. The new boiler had Ramsbottom safety valves above the firebox, the smoke box was enlarged to match the enlarged boiler barrel and included a shapely cast iron chimney in place of the original built-up type. During the period 1880-1900, the engines of this group of locomotives shared in the general fitting forstly of steam brakes and then Westinghouse air brakes and cowcatchers. Some also had hand rails, foot boards and a few had cowcatchers fitted to the tenders.
Withdrawal: In the locomotive renumbering, of 1923, the remaining T class were allotted the group of numbers 90 to 95. The last two locomotives, T 92 and T 94, were fitted in 1933 with wide flangeless tyres on the driving coupled wheels for shunting at the original, coal fired, Newport Powerhouse where there was a sharp curve of only 160 feet radius. T 92 was taken off the register on 31st March 1951 and T 94 on 13th June 1952.